How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE?

how long does it take to recovery from a PE cover

I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long they can expect to be healing. The short, uncomplicated answer is recovery is different for everyone. Keep that in mind. The extent of the damage to your body and other organs, underlying health issues, additional diagnosis and potential or discovered clotting disorders can all factor in to answer how long does it take to recover from a PE?

The longer, but still less complicated answer to how long does it take to recover from a PE depends on how your body heals. Contrary to common belief, blood thinners in fact do not dissolve blood clots. Only the body can dissolve a blood clot and in some cases, the blood clot does not dissolve and will not dissolve. As the blood thins (for example when on a blood thinner) and travels throughout the veins, it actually hits the clot and can eventually break away enough to flow by it in some cases. The body can also accommodate for the damaged area by creating scar tissue and rerouting blood flow through or around the clot. While a blood clot may no longer be at risk for breaking off and causing additional damage once turned to scar tissue, it is still there and is important to note when speaking of recovery. Your blood clot may never dissolve. Knowing this early on saved me a lot of worry and disbelief later in my treatment. When my DVT didn’t completely dissolve, I wasn’t left screaming or in tears wondering, “What do you mean?! No one told me that!”

I was diagnosed with a DVT in my left leg in June 2012. The clot broke free from my calf, right behind the knee, traveled through my heart and lodged into my left lung. I was in the Cardiac ICU for six days and the hospital for ten days total. It came out of nowhere and almost ended my life before I turned 30. My first conscious, non-drug induced, rational question (my very first question was ‘Can I run this Saturday?’) to my doctor after being released from the hospital was, “How long does it take to recover from a PE?” Followed quickly by “How long do I have to wear these compression stockings?”

He answered quickly to the latter “for about six months or until I tell you to stop.”

I wasn’t prepared then for the answer to my first question, how long does it take to recover from a PE? “Recovery from a PE generally takes about one to two years.”

Recovery from a PE takes one to two years.

Not to be the bearer of bad news (although I do have a pessimistic nature to be honest), I think more patients need to be told this – and more doctors need to realize it.

Length of treatment can vary from a few months to long-term over many years and is determined by factors your doctor should discuss with you. If he or she does not discuss length of treatment with you or to your satisfaction, ask for clarification until you receive a satisfactory answer!

At least 3-6 months of blood thinners are typically recommended, with a preference for long-term or often lifelong treatment in patients with unprovoked (occurs out of the blue, without any clear triggering factor such as surgery, pregnancy, injury, etc.) clots that occur in the pelvis, thigh, and/or behind knee (DVT) or a PE.

Potential Factors of a Higher Risk for Future Clots (
  1. Gender (men have a higher risk for recurrence than women)
  2. Presence of a strong clotting disorder
  3. Obesity
  4. Significant chronic leg swelling (post thrombotic syndrome)
  5. Positive D-dimer blood test obtained while on blood thinners
  6. Positive D-dimer blood test obtained 4 weeks after having come off blood thinners
  7. A lot of left-over (residual) clot on follow-up Doppler ultrasound examination of the leg.
  8. Strong family history of unprovoked DVT or PE.
  9. In addition, patients who had a PE more likely have a PE as a recurrence and have a higher risk of dying from the recurrent clot, compared to patients who “only” had a DVT.

A PE wreaks havoc on the body at the vascular level and creates micro-damage we can’t even always see – not to mention what we can and do see. In my case, my clot traveled through my veins, right lung and heart before lodging in the lobe of my lower left lung – that creates a lot of potential for damage to arterial pathways that just take time to heal. Even 14 months out from my hospitalization, I still have days where extreme fatigue, anxiety, pain, depression and listlessness consume me to the point of interfering with normal life. I imagine this is all still a part of recovery and I may eventually have to take steps to learn to manage these feelings in my everyday life. The emotional and psychological effects of a PE are all-too real, all-too debilitating and all-too ignored.

And while it may take you upwards of a year or more to start to feeling physically normal and participate in activities again, many people, including myself, are diagnosed with blood clotting conditions (such as antiphospholipid syndrome as in my case) which require lifelong monitoring and medication to try to prevent a recurrence of blood clots. While I consider myself far into recovery after a year or more, I will always have the possibility of another clot and the lifelong treatments that come with that. For me personally, a PE was not just something I got, healed from and now I can go about my life without having to worry about it on a daily basis, although that is the case for some patients.

So in answer to how long does it take to recover from a PE? One to two years, depending on your specific situation. Be sure to discuss recovery and possible setbacks with your doctor in order to be prepared to face what can be a long and seemingly overwhelming prognosis.

Share your story. Did your doctor answer how long does it take to recover from a PE? How long have you been recovering? Does the possibility of a long recovery scare you? Was your recovery shorter or longer than 1-2 years?

There is hope for healing and you are not alone,



  1. I haven’t been told a lot about recovery by either my primary Dr or pulmonologist. In fact I feel my symptoms/issues are being dismissed as trivial and that I’m expected to feel fine 6 months after PE and pulmonary infarction in left lung. Actually I feel pretty miserable: extreme fatigue, anxiety, chest discomfort, palpitations. Really a pretty lonely feeling. Glad you have this bloc for support. Thank you.

    • Hi Kathi. Thank you for being here. I hear all too often that people’s symptoms, not to mention feelings, are dismissed and that is very heartbreaking. From my experience, the things you mention feeling 6 months down the line are very normal – I felt them too, and still do at times! You are not alone, just remember that and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I know it sounds cliche, but hang in there and best wishes to you as you continue to heal. The loneliness is unbearable at times and one of the reasons I started this site to bring us together into a community that cares!

      • Hi Sara – thanx for your reply – it helps to know Im not crazy and I sometimes think perhaps because I am older (63) that Im not expected to feel better which is a shame – anyway I have also wondered about some symptoms that again are sort of shoved aside that concern me such as pain in my toes and ankles – I like my dr and would hate to have to find a new one but I just dont know what things i should be concerned about and if I look online which of course drs hate patients doing, just about everything I am concerned about should not be ignored – its discouraging – I wondered if other PE survivors have had to look for another dr without looking like a complainer or med seeker which I am not – I hate taking meds and my dr always tries to put me on antidepressants – Im not depressed Im scared and just dont feel Im being listened to – am I asking too much and will time simply be the answer to how I feel most days? thanx so much for having this avenue of support!

        • You are more than welcome, Kathi and I think a lot of people feel or have felt the way you do at one time or another, including myself. I also turned online for most of the information – there just is nowhere else to turn it feels like, especially if you want to connect with others. I could never imagine myself walking onto a hospital floor and talking to other patients about a PE, but I can talk to other survivors online all day about our experiences. I think it is okay to go online as long as you follow-up with a medical professional about specific concerns, especially if it might be negatively effecting you.

          I have heard of others experiencing pain in the toes and ankles so you are not alone in that!

          You are not asking too much to be listened too – whether it be from a professional or not – and that is one of the reasons I started this site. To give us a place to talk and discuss and share experiences. I think time does play a roll in how we feel and recover, but I also think it is not easily dismissed after all that we have been through. Some days are great, others are not. I am glad we are on this journey together.

          • Thea Harris says:

            WoW! I thought it was just me. On March 2, 2014, while at work, with NO symptoms, I collapsed. When I came to, in the ER, I was told I had a “saddled , bi-lateral PE”. I was on a cardiac floor for 13 days. Every doctor that came in my room told me I need to buy a lottery ticket because usually ” people don’t survive a bi-lateral PE”. That wasn’t the best thing to constantly hear. I’m taking warfarin , 8mg daily , but I haven’t been told for how long. I still don’t feel “right”. I am sleepy most of the time. Any sort of pain scares me. It’s horrible!!

          • Hi Thea and welcome! You are most definitely not alone. I was also in the cardiac ICU for quite some time and was told similar things by my doctors – I was lucky to be alive. Recovery takes a long time and is slow, especially in the beginning, but things do get better slowly and over time. It is a horrible recovery, yes, and very scary at times! Thinking of you and hoping you start to have some better days along with the hard ones. Keep in touch.

          • Hello. I too had a real scare with a PE. I am 33 years old and have no prior health issues. I was brushing my teeth and out of nowhere I was overwhelmed by severe shortness of breath and feeling like I was going to die. It was terrifying! Thankfully I made it to the hospital and the doctor revealed that I had a massive saddle emboli. I was told that I am of the lucky few to survive this type of PE. It was a large DVT behind my left knee that broke off and traveled to the lungs and I was not aware that I even had this clot. I had no leg pain prior to this. It has been 3 months since this all occured and i have constant tingling toes with slight swelling in the feet but not any major swelling. I have another CT scan and Echocardiogram in a week.I feel fearful at times and almost paranoid about every discomfort in my body. I empathize with everyone on this site. It is comforting to here that my residual symptoms are common. Some days I feel close to normal and other days I still experience mild chest pain and an elevated pulse. I’m taking 6mgs of warfarin daily and i sometimes feel different for a few hours after taking this medicine. This whole experience has truly enlightened me to how fragile our lives are. It has also drawn me much closer to the Lord and i try to see my life being spared as a blessing and an opportunity to live my life in a better manner. It’s not without a degree of worry though. I’ve read through a few different sites similar to this one and I finally felt like sharing my experience. I have yet to actually meet someone who has suffered through this same experience.

        • Kathy, as I said…I went to my GO about 5 times in a few weeks separately to my schedule appointments, because I too felt like I needed answers for new symptoms popping up. He was actually so wonderful and said that anxiety is definitely a part of the recovery process and as I start to improve, it will ease. I was given some medication to take the first day in emergency but he feels that as long as I am ‘just scared’ and not actually suffering uncontrollable attacks, that I should feel much better soon. I said to him-I feel like I keep complaining and worry about whether the clots are getting smaller or traveling …it’s the unknown that is frustrating isn’t it? He just said- “so would I. Ask away-you are not going crazy, it’s a big change to adjust to and it will be a long recovery” it makes all the difference that I can talk openly to him. It’s important to walk out feeling calm and empowered with new found knowledge or even just being understood. So if you feel unhappy with your care, perhaps try someone else x

          • This is so empowering to hear your doctor is supportive, Suzana. Thanks for sharing! So many people are not fortunate to find a doctor who supports them or recognizes their concerns, as I am sure you have read.

      • Bless you Sara for this site. I am in my second year of recovery and just frustrated at the ups and downs of how I feel. Took a two hour flight last week and I swear I am getting my initial symptoms before I went into crisis two years ago. So I am seeing my Primary Care doctor tomorrow because I think I need to see a pulmonolgist…the hardest thing is to want to feel better and just can’t. And I guess being fair to physicians, they can’t help. It’s 2014 and this illness does not have a ‘magic’ pill to help us.

        • Thank you, Gwen! I am glad you found us and are here. I will be thinking about you and hoping you find answers. The flight may have elevated your risk so if you have symptoms of a PE, make sure you get to the ER for help. Also, it may be beneficial to see a hematologist as well. Keep in touch about your findings, if you wish. Take care. Hugs!

      • Hi Sara,
        As I lay here at 2am, 2 weeks post Pulmonary Infarction, I thank you for starting this blog. It is so reassuring reading others stories and realizing I’m not alone or crazy!
        I too had an infarction in my left lung that left me with a dead lower lobe. I was wondering if you coughed up blood? I do and it worries me that it hasn’t stopped. I went for a follow up to the pulmonary specialist (whom I will never go to again, very incompetent, but that another story) well he took me off the lovenex injections and put me on Xarelto, he also gave me a Zpac for the fluid in my lungs. I am still coughing up the blood (less mucous now) but I get very light headed every time I cough and it scares me. I have made an appointment with the specialist who saw me in the hospital but it’s not for 10 days! Sometimes I feel like rushing back to the ER, I’m glad to hear we all go through that! It’s the not knowing that scares me. Thanks for sharing.

        • I am glad this website exists

          • carmelets says:

            Feeling bless this has been the hardest thing I’ve been threw i have a pe im so scared for my life every day im afarid im going two die pls help i feel hopeless

          • I am sorry you are really poorly yes it is scary but have faith in the Lord to get you
            Through the next weeks to come and it won’t feel as bad I will pray for you xx

        • carmelets says:

          Feeling bless i have a pe i was diagnosed in November its been a very horrible episode im 45 yrs old i have never been sick a day in my life plus i suffer with depression i feel like im going crazy i been two the er a millions of times the doctors think im nuts i have not seen the right doctor yet im still afraid i don’t no what to anymore im tryna be strong for my baby gurl i dont wont to leave her she needs me im nervous reck please pray for us im so scared

    • Kim Hanberger says:

      That sounds exactly how I feel. My tiredness is ridiculous, I could easily sleep 17 hours a day. I’m finding it harder to explain how I feel because people think I’m fine now. I had a PE in April on my right lung x I never got told a recovery time from anyone. Feeling a little out at sea at the moment

  2. I was sent out with no info at all after multiple blots clots in my lungs very stressed and my anxiety is
    Really bad scared to be alone and every pain is a bad one in my mind !!! Help

    • Hi Carol. Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you are here. I completely understand what you are going through right now, and I am sorry you did not get more information from your doctors. That can make it even more difficult. Feel free to explore this site for some insights, connect with others in the comments and if you are on Facebook, check out these support groups – There are some really helpful individuals there who can help share what they have been through. You are most definitely not alone in this and what you are feeling is very normal!

      • Kim Hanberger says:

        That sounds exactly how I feel. My tiredness is ridiculous, I could easily sleep 17 hours a day. I’m finding it harder to explain how I feel because people think I’m fine now. I had a PE in April on my right lung x I never got told a recovery time from anyone. Feeling a little out at sea at the moment

        • Fatigue is very, very normal! I still struggle to function on eight hours of sleep and it has been two years since my PE. I was sleeping most of the day during the early months of my recovery. Your body has been through a very traumatic experience and sleeping is one of the best ways for it to heal. I can relate – it is not easy for others to understand this recovery. Warm thoughts to you as you recover. Take care.

  3. Hello my name is Suzana. I was diagnosedwith an Acute PE exactly one month ago. It’s been the first 3 days since that I have functioned quite well. Before that I had a swollen throat, swollen Thyroid and sore throat and exhaustion which collectively was making me feel anxious as I couldn’t breathe properly. I went to my GP and was sent for a Thyroid ultrasound. Turns out it’s just another side effect from the nuclear scan and all part of the untold recovery. I was told since I was in previous excellent health (Ballet Dancer) and fit, non smoker, have no risk factors, that I’ll be fine very soon. Once home after a week in hospital, and not feeling fine…I made about 5 trips to my GP to discuss the new chest/hip/leg pains, exhaustion and throat issues. It was in trying to find answers from like patients that I found this page. Thank you for sharing your stories! I have come to accept that the recovery process is a day by day journey. One day I host a party, the next I’m totally exhausted then the next I feel OK. A big part of recovery is the mental adjustment. It’s trial and error each day. Today I may feel up to going for a walk and the next I try and have to turn back. The other hard thing is the adjustment for our families. I look fine-did when I was in emergency. People forget what you are going through. Anyhow…just wanted to say thank you and I wish you all a smooth and speedy recovery x

    • My dr wants me to have a follow up CT scan …its been almost a year since my PE and i take warfarin 5 mg daily …i feel ok although i still have depression/ anxiety associated with the PE and my stamina is low ….i just dont want to have the scan done ….does it really serve any purpose? I’ve read that scans can show minute clots that wouldnt be seen under normal circumstances that drs treat unneccesarily …maybe I’m just burying my head in the sand and just don’t want to know … dr has already told me I’m probably going to have to stay on warfarin anyway because i have had other suspected clots since i was a kid so why get the scan? Maybe I’m just afraid of what it might show and with anxiety issues I’m just afraid to have the test done?

      • Thinking of you, Kathi! I personally would want to know, but I understand your hesitation. I hope you are feeling well and able to do what is right for you.

    • Hi Suzana! Welcome to BCRN and thank you for sharing your story with us. I also struggle with Thyroid issues (I have had them all my life, even before my PE) and I often wonder how much my thyroid condition (being autoimmune) has played into my DVT and PE. Thank you for telling us about that as I find it helpful. I am still receiving care for my thyroid although it did not get the care it should have when my PE first happened because everyone was more concerned about that.

      I am so glad you are here and you are right, often times our friends and family and those closes to us do not realize what we are going through or how long of a recovery period this is. Every time someone shares some bit of information on this site, I hope it can help someone else. Thank you for being a part of that and keep in touch!

  4. Hi yes and thank you all for sharing! I find everything that everyone has shared helpful and a reminder that I need to be patient as the journey travels.
    I will be having my 2nd nuclear scan to see how the clots are-changed or unchanged. Just hoping /praying I don’t get worse thyroiditis on top of the inflammation I already have from last time. A friend of mine is an occupational therapist/another is a rehab physio and just spoke. My doctor and friends mentioned Government funded rehabilitation fitness building programs. I live in AUS and will be looking into it this week. Will let you know what I learn about this. I am a former dancer and Pilates instructor but feel I need specific info on rehab for when the lungs aren’t functioning as they should. It’s as if I need to reset my thinking in terms of exercise and how I would approach strength and fitness building. Will share specific info once I get it.
    All the best everyone x

    • Suzana,
      How your lungs react will be much different then the rest of us. I am 3 months and 3 weeks from being admitted into the hospital. I had bi lateral PE and the lower lobes of each of my lungs were severally clotted. I tried going back to exercising in early January only to experience coughing up low levels of blood. I had to stop exercising for another three weeks and just got back into it two weeks ago. What a difference, I feel better and can work much harder then I thought I would be able too. I do suffer the pain and side effects of pulmonary hypertension, basically unequal pressure in the lungs caused by the damage from the clots to the arteries. The extent of PH differs between all of us who have PE and can be a big factor in how fast we recover. My doc feels it will take me one year plus to get back to 90% of where I was before the clots got into my lungs. He does not feel I will ever get back to 100%.
      My one piece of advice, don’t push in the first few months. Pushing to hard can cause even further damage which will just delay your recovery. I was a competitive cyclist and it is my nature to push. The PE’s let me know who was the boss early on and I quickly took a lets go at this slow mentality. Take each little step forward as a reason to celebrate and when you get frustrated, as we all have, we are here to listen.

  5. Hi Tim, thank you for your message! I wish you well on your road to recovery! 3 months in and hearing that you feel better gives me hope. The days drag on sometimes when you want to get out there but can’t. Will do as you have all sugested-take it slow.
    Thank you and all the best :)

  6. When i had my PE the only symptom i had was chest pain …. other thsn that i didnt know anything was wrong with me ….right now I’m having pain ikn my lower back/hip/groin area to the point I’m having trouble climbing stair and I’m on the verge of a panic attack thinking it might be a blood clot …..would that be an area where a blood clot could form? I don’t want to be a baby about this but pain scares me since it was the only symptom i had in the past…

    • Yes, Kathi! A clot could be in the groin area. It might be worth having it checked out and if the pain is worse or you are having trouble walking, please go to the ER. I would rather be safe than sorry – I know that sounds cliche, but it is the truth in our case! Best to you.

  7. I experienced by own bout with PE February 4th, on the tail end of the first snow storm that hit Georgia in January. Ultimately, I was forced to walk 4 miles after stranding my car. My hope was to find a police cruiser to avoid the full 11 mile trek. I was lucky enough to get the escort home. The next few days my left leg hurt but I just though I pulled a muscle whenit started to burn I had a passing thought “I hope it’s not a blood clot”. Not wanting to be a worry wort I took Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I also ignored they symptoms of lethargy I felt at walking up the stairs in my home. On Feb 4th my body stopped allowing me to ignore what was going on. I was home alone, after calling out from work and I passed out three times at home. In the end I woke up long enough to call EMS. At the hospital I had an O2 saturation of 72 and was considered tachy cardia. After a series of tests and scans they discovered the clots in both lungs which caused a pulmonary embolism. My left leg was painfully swollen with clots. I was treated with warafin and lovenox (heparin). My hospital stay was only 3 days and I followed the regimen prescribed which brought my INR up to a level 3 which was optimal, but my leg was still painfully swollen, often waking me up at night and leaving me in tears. At this point they’d taken me off the lovenox. I saw my GP who prescribed steroids an a pain killer. I ended up back in urgent care and their tests showed that new clots had formed but they couldn’t explain why. They took me off the warafin and put me back on lovenox which I currently have a month supply for. I was told a hematologist would be in contact with me but I feel like I’m just left out there. I didn’t fall into the typical criterion for predisposition: I’m 40 but I don’t drink, ever, or smoke. While I don’t have a regular exercise routine anymore I’m hardly sedentary, in fact I’m always on the move (with 3 active teenagers). I feel like I don’t have any real answers. In urgent care they wanted me to follow-up with my GP but in my follow up after my hospital stay she seemed to pay little attention to the DVT and PE and more focused on my diabetes which is being managed successfully. I keep hearing I’m lucky to be alive but not hearing much on how long treatment should be, what to expect etc. In reading this blog I realize I should contact the doctor about the tingling and mild numbness in my left foot. I wanted to wait to see if the lovenox would help with that like it has with the swelling (and subsequently the pain). I think like I’m on the road to recovery but every few days feel like I have to give my leg and body a break because it starts to “flare” up. Once a week it’s like I’m calling out of work which is just as frustrating to me as it is to my employer. I feel lost, and alone and know that my job will be in jeopardy if I continue with this pattern but don’t know what else to do.

    • Hi Nia! Thank you so much for being here and for sharing your story. First, I am so glad you are here after that storm and you made it home. Wow!

      I understand your frustrations completely and I think you sum up what a lot of people here felt and still do! Let me assure you, you are most definitely not alone. I think you are right in deciding to be more persistent with your medical staff and let them know about your foot as well as what you are still experiencing. I don’t think there are any easy solutions to what we have all been through, as I am sure you would agree.

      I do know, I tried to go back to work after one month of being off work and while I thought I was ready then, I wasn’t and not to scare you, but I ended up losing my job after three months. At the time, I was devastated and did not know what I was going to do, but looking back, it was the only way I was ever going to heal. I also think it depends on what you do and how flexible your employer can be with your work. Do you have the ability to apply for short-term leave? That is what someone else suggest here once. I could not, but others have. I will be thinking of you in this respect, I know how you feel and I understand your concern because it happened to me! Employers do not understand this and even if they do, it is a complicated and scary situation to be in.

      I think going with a hematologist is also a good route so maybe he or she can find the root reason of your clots – like if you were to have a clotting disorder, which might explain the clots. Definitely see a hematologist. I hope they get in touch with you or you can get in touch with them.

      I do know recovery and the pain gets better with time, but it is a long road, yes. I’ll be thinking of you and please keep in touch!

  8. Stephanie Rose says:

    I am a 21-year-old female that had just started taking Ortho-Tricyclen Lo birth control pills that I got from a free clinic. I have never had a sip of alcohol or ever smoked, no drugs, and have pretty much been healthy as a horse my whole life (besides my allergies in spring-time and asthma when I was younger). On April 3rd, I felt a little tightness in my chest, like it was hard to get a full, deep breathe of air. It was a little painful, but it lasted for maybe 2 hours and then went away, so I thought nothing of it. The next day, I felt fine, but then my symptoms returned, and got even worse. I called my father and he took me to urgent care, where they did a little breathe test, an EKG, and a chest x-ray, to which they saw absolutely nothing wrong, but suspected that a blood clot could have been in my lung and that a trip to the ER would be the only way to be 100% sure. So after a bit of discussing with my father, we went to the ER. They did the EKG (once again, normal), a blood test and it came back positive, so they issued me a CT-scan. Sure enough, they found two small blood clots, one in each lung. I was prescribed Lovenox injections and Warfarin, and stopped the Lovenox on the 11th once my INR was in the 2-3 range. I’m now just in the phase of adjusting my Warfarin to keep my INR in the correct range, and I know that I’m safe and getting better, but this entire ordeal really messed with my head. The tightness in my chest went away more and more as the days passed, but now the shortness of breathe has sort of come back, and it’s making me paranoid. I got so worried about it that I actually went back to the ER and got checked just in case, but they said that I was alright and that it was all a part of the recovery process…

    I know I’m only 10 days into my recovery, but I’m so paranoid and anxious and get panic attacks. I can’t be left alone, and I’m even sleeping out in the living room with one of my parents each night just because I’m terrified of being in my own bedroom. Is there any saying when my breathing will be back to normal? Or at least where the shortness of breathe gets better? Because it just sort of came back yesterday afternoon after I had started to feel really good over the week, sorta put a bummer in everything and I’ll probably have to miss out on another week of school and work because of it. If anyone has any tips or tricks or advice, it would be greatly appreciated… it’s a scary ordeal. I know to take it slow but… it’s just so difficult trying to get my mind to shut up…

    • Stephanie Rose says:

      Also forgot to say that I had only been taking the birth control pills for 19 days when all of this happened, and that my doctor(s) said that because of my good health (practically perfect vitals every time they checked on me, whether it was my blood pressure, temperature, heart rate, oxygen saturation, and anything else), and because it was so soon after those pills, my PE was most likely due to my BCP. It was advised, and as a huge and major DUH that I have discontinued taking the pills.

      Just as another note, I started off on 5mg of Warfarin. My primary care doctor bumped my dosage to 7.5mg to get my INR in the 2-3 range, and now it’s being regulated as I get my checkups from 5mg to 7.5mg, and he doesn’t suspect that I will have to be on it for longer than 3 months, but that it could take up to 6 months for me to get off of the blood thinners all together.

      • Hi Stephanie Rose (such a pretty name) and welcome to BCRN! I am so glad you are here and sharing your story with all of us.

        What you are feeling right now is very normal, I assure you and I know exactly how you are feeling right about now. It is a hard and lonely place to be in, but I assure you, you are not alone because we have been there too! I was very much afraid to be alone after me PE and after I was discharged from the hospital and you are right, it does mess with your head. I became afraid that something would happen to me while my husband was at work and no one would be able to help me because I could not get to the phone in time. I spent the days and nights awake, worrying, in the beginning so you are not alone in that. This is a very traumatic experience – that many, sadly, do not survive – and that really does mess with your head.

        From what I know, the shortness of breath and pain you are feeling now is all still very normal. I will say, I did not start to NOTICE feeling any better or having less pain until about 3 months into my recovery. From there, things did get better little by little. One day I didn’t necessarily notice that I wasn’t in pain anymore, I just noticed that I hadn’t felt that pain as much as I thought. Or, I could walk up the stairs a little easier or take a shower without getting out of breath. As I look back on those days from where I am now (almost two years out) it is amazing how much better I feel now. The progress is slow in many cases, but it does happen. Being young and it otherwise good health, I think it will also help you.

        Did they also check you for clotting disorders? I only ask because I was on birth control and they originally blamed my clot on that. I was 29. I am 31 now. A hematologist that was called in found I actually had a clotting disorder as well, which combined with the birth control, contributed to my clot. Just a though, if you can get further testing do.

        I am really grateful you shared your story. There are many younger people here who are going through this. It is so important that people of all ages share their stories.

        Thank you so much and please keep in touch. Thinking of you as you recover!

  9. Stephanie Rose says:

    No I haven’t been checked for clotting disorders, but my primary care doctor did say that would be the only way to check for sure. I have another appointment with him tomorrow morning to check my INR, I’ll make sure to ask him about it. Thanks!

    • Hello Stephanie Rose, you are definitely not alone in this. It’s been a frustrating and confusing road for me also. I am now 4 months into my recovery and all I can say is, that it’s been a rollercoaster ride. One day I’m feeling well and the next I’m exhausted. I’ve tracked my health closely and found patterns. When I do feel well I tend to return to normal activity and obviously over do it…then I crash and need lots of sleep to recover. I found my shortness of breath would return and panic once the exhaustion set in. So my advice is take it slow, baby steps in exercise or even just trying to get out and about in short bursts only. Lots of rest and keep your doctor informed about any changes. I felt a sudden return of chest pain and exhaustion a few weeks ago and then my shortness of breath returned along with heart palpitations. I was referred to a respiratory specialist-thinking I had some lung damage….turns out my GP ordered another full blood work up and in only a few weeks since my last blood test, I had become anemic.My Iron dropped to 13 (normal range being 50, and my hemoglobin dropped to 115, normal 150). My GP said the patients usually become symptomatic around the h-90 mark, which explained all my symptoms. I honestly thought it was PE related, but it isn’t directly…rather related to the medication Xarelto (the new drug) causing longer bleeding. I haven’t noticed anyone on here stating that they are taking Xarelto. Is anyone taking it? It’s the new highly recommended one here in Australia. I’m curious to know if anyone else is on it. I’ve had no other problems with it and it requires no monitoring or regulation. Only downside is, that there is no reversal drug like there is for Warfrin. I hope you don’t mind me going off on a tagent..
      Stephanie I wish you all the best in your recovery. There will be good days, great days even but it takes are still in early recovery as are many of us on here. My doctor gave me some advice…take each day one at a time. Listen to your body, do a lot of self positive talk, encouragement and set little goals each day until you feel you can add more and more on your schedule. Rest each day and when you are feeling anxious, have a plan to calm you and distract you. For me it’s reading to sleep and during the day it’s making a cup of decaffeinated tea (can’t have caffine) and putting on a favourite tv show or movie or going to sit outside in the sun, listening to music etc…..or arranging a catch up with a friend. I hope you can find something helpful for yourself. The anxiousness settles especially when you begin to feel better. All the best to you and everyone reading x

      • Stephanie Rose says:

        I have learned the baby steps thing all too well today, unfortunately. My mind said that I could return to school, if not just for a little while until I went back home. Even being out of the house and around other people was just so mentally and physically draining. I developed a massive headache (due to the loud room I was in, what a great idea…) that I’m now just suffering through because I keep getting mixed signals about which OTC pain killers to take. Doctor said Advil, someone on another forum said Tylenol. I’ll probably end up calling my pharmacist tomorrow. There’s absolutely no way that I can make it back to school this week, because I am absolutely drained after only a few hours, I can’t imagine two more days of this feeling. I just need to relax at home. Whatever my mind says, I need to listen to my body. It will tell me when it’s ready.

        • Hi Stephanie Rose. Thanks for stopping back in, and I am sorry to hear your return to school did not go very well. I hope you are feeling better now. I will keep you in my thoughts. Be sure to check out this post for some info about what you can take when taking blood thinners:

          Generally people only take Tylenol, but you are right to check with your doctor/pharmacist to be sure.

          You are VERY right about listening to your body. Hang in there, and we’re all here for you!

      • I just wanted to say that is some great advice, Suzana! Thank you.

    • I hope your appointment went well and you can find some answers!

  10. Hello just a follow up on things that have helped ease my mind…especially when alone..amd feeling unwell was
    1. Buying an oximetre monitor.
    it monitors your heart rate and oxygen saturation which is the same peg monitor that you have on your finger in hospital.
    my GP suggested buying one when I was struggling with shortness of breath at home. It has been good for him to see when my oxygen levels drop. I only used it for a few weeks and honestly it was for mental clarity. I was surprised to see that even though I thought I wasn’t breathing well that I had excellent oxygen levels. I stopped using it now so as not to become fixated on it.
    just a thought.. x

  11. Nicola B says:

    It has now been 3 months since my diagnosis. I probably had the small pe’s going around my body since October though as this is when the symptoms started. How lucky am I to be here!! I have had so many tests and still have a few to go – but we may be making progress. I am convinced something is not quite right. I have had various episodes of breathing difficulties and chest pain since 2003, but after visiting or being taken by ambulance to hospital a few times – nothing has been found and it was just put down to a virus. I’ve also had a spinal fusion and a hysterectomy so all of this has been thrown into the equation ! I went to see a spinal surgeon a month ago and the MRI looked good but he referred me to a neurologist who I saw yesterday and he just wants one more MRI to check for any small cysts on my spine! I’m sure there isn’t but I will humour his curiousity. I am starting to feel much stronger and am back at work full time – but I still have a constant cough and have chest pain and breathing difficulty on exercise – even just walking around a lot – with occasional dizziness. My GP has referred me to a cardiologist and my appt is on 28 April. I have had a echocardiogram 3 days before my PE was diagnosed by VQ scan. My respiratory consultant assured me it was fine BUT he received a letter from my GP this week informing him I have been referred to his colleague – the cardiologist. He then rang me last night – quite late – to say that he was aware who I was seeing next and that I was not to be surprised that it will come up that I have a small hole somewhere in my heart (can’t remember where he said) and that I had widening of the aortic valve. I have never been told this by him before – all was okay was all I’d been told ! He said a pe can cause this and the chest pain etc may be because of this – but also this could possibly have caused the pe. I am interested to see what the cardiologist says now. If all is okay – I will have to accept that all of my smptoms are post PE and will improve in time. The recovery is ongoing and I know still early days but soooo frustrating – I am impatient and just want to get back to normal!!!

    • Hi Nicola! It is great to hear from you and thank you for sharing all of this with us. You raise some very interesting aspects and effects of a PE that I was not aware of nor had I considered before you brought them up. I am also interested in what the cardiologist had to say about the hole in your being a result of or the cause of the PE. If you get a chance, do drop back in and let us know. \

      I am glad to hear you are back to work full-time and starting to feel better. I think the parts of recovery you describe about still feeling pains and shortness of breath after exercise are all a normal part of recovery. At least it was for me and several others here. Thank you for also sharing how you have become an advocate for your health by continuing to search for answers. That is so important because sometimes we are the only advocate for ourselves.

      I hope you are doing well and talk to you soon!

  12. Stephanie Rose says:

    Just wanted to provide an update since it’s been a little while:
    I went back to school week three post-PE, and week four I started work again (only for 30-45 minutes though since I can’t handle both work and school just yet). About to start week 5 tomorrow. I have had a little bit of a relapse in my recovery: we have had terrible weather lately (high winds and hot temperatures) that have aggravated my allergies to no end. I woke up with the initial allergy symptoms on Thursday, but also had another INR check that morning. Turns out that after two weeks since my last checkup, my INR dropped from a 2.5 to a 1.3 – more activity, less sleep, more food all contributed to the drop. Not going to do a two week break again for a while until I know I am stabilized. I go back in on Wednesday for my next checkup, so hopefully it has gone back up with my double dosage.

    • Stephanie Rose says:

      Well I went back this morning and it only went up to 1.5, so it still went up but not by as much as we had hoped. So he bumped up my dosage yet again to 7.5mg a day. My next appointment is on Tuesday next week, but I’m still feeling like he’ll have to up the dosage yet again to get me to stay between 2-3.

      • I can relate to you! I had a very hard time stabilizing my INR on warfarin. I was able to after about a year total and taking a doctor-prescribed vitamin K supplement was the one thing that worked for me. It balanced my system and now I go about 5-6 weeks between draws. Discussing alternatives to your treatment, including other medications may be something to bring up if you continue to struggle. I will also say it can take a long time to regulate on warfarin and that is a normal thing. Thinking of you!

      • Stephanie Rose
        Just read ur post. I also had the problem of my inr dropping. I’m my case I developed a new clot. A word of advice I was told if my inr fell below 2 to see doc once a week n just for protection to use Lovenox to keep blood thin so there will not be a new clot. I had my 2nd PE n my inr was not manage right n then months later had another. I feel if I would have known to take to weekly reads n Lovenox until back in target rage I would have been protected from my recent one. Everybody’s different u may want to ask about this it’s better to be safe then sorry.

    • Hi Stephanie Rose! Thanks for letting us know how you are. I went back to work (full-time) about a month post-PE and I could not do it. I think what you are experiencing is very normal and it does get better with time, although it does not feel like it and it seems like it does take forever.

      I hope your check-up went well. I have found that it seems like nearly anything can effect your INR so changing your sleeping and work/school habits may have affected you. As you know, diet, stress and hydration can change it too.

      I am thinking of you and hoping you continue on the path to recovery and start to feel better very soon. Hang in there, we are right there with you!

      • Stephanie Rose says:

        Thanks for the kind words, it helps a little bit. :) It’s just so difficult to not worry about every single thing that happens to my body… like right now it feels like my throat is swollen. I can take deep breaths and it doesn’t hurt, and I can sort of breathe through my nose, but it doesn’t feel like I’m getting enough oxygen. I’m hoping it’s just my head playing tricks on me, as my anxiety is pretty awful right now.

  13. Rhonda Minks says:

    I was just at the doctor and told her I just had problems breathing and I was so tired. I thought It was from my fibro. Come to find out I have two blood clots in my leg and 10 in my lungs! All from hurting my back in may. (Bulged disk and injured my psiatic nerve.) Got two iepidural injections 2 weeks after. My leg started hurting really bad and just could not breathe. I have no history in my family of clots. They are running blood tests to see whats going on. I just feel like I am never going to get better. 1 to 2 years recovery time? I just feel useless.

    • Hi Rhonda and welcome! Ten blood clots in your lungs?! WOW! I am so glad you got help and are here to talk about it. How scary!

      Please do not for one second think you are useless. You are not and that is why we have this community here – because you are also not alone! Recovery is long, yes, but it is also different for everyone and while I may take two years to recover, you may take less or someone else may take more. You are also recovering from an injury at this point, which changes the dynamic. You may find once you heal from that, you also recover at a quicker speed from the PE. It all depends. Please do not give up. This is a guideline because so many people are not told what to expect and do not think it will take long. It can, it may. It is something to be aware of.

      I am wishing you well and also that you find answers, which may help your feelings of uselessness. Take care and keep in touch!

  14. Hello Rhonda. Sorry to hear you haven’t been well! You are definitely not alone and definitely not useless!! You must listen to your body and rest. I had my bilateral PE in January and began recovering fairly well around March. I began to walk without much pain or breathlessness. What I have found though, is thst any respiratory illness does knock you about much more and takes longer to recover from. I’m constantly going for chest xrays and blood tests to check that the lungs are ok-no pneumonia, collapsed lung or infected block pockets in the lungs. Last yests showed that all looked great internally. My specialist ENT said that the anxiety or hypersensitivity is temporary and as you regain fitness and the lungs have had adaquate time to heal, that you should feel much much better. I wish you a smooth recovery. Take care.

  15. Stephanie Rose, regarding your post about the sensation of not being able to breathe properly and feeling like your throat is swollen…I thought I may mention the following. I firstly had chest xray, blood tests, thyroid and throat ultrasound, anacid medication, antibiotics and after all came back clear…was referred to a respiratory specialist and then an ENT. The radiologist who has done all my VQ scans in hospital said that there are no side affects. The GP said there may be a side affect to the contrast dye. The ENT finally confirmed my thought. About a week after each VQ scan test I began to feel a swelling, tighness in the chest and anxiety coming on. It would go on and off for weeks. He confirmed that I was having a mild allergic reaction to the contrast dye. I almost passed out from anxiety when he performed a test with the camera going down my nose and throat using a local anesthetic spray. That feeling tripled. To my surprise, I saw on the screen that my airways were open, clear and healthy. He said it’s quite common and other doctors are beginning to learn of this too. He said that some patients have an instant severe reaction but it is very rare. The theory is that because the symptoms are the same as having a PE, it is difficult to distinguish the difference betwen the two causes.
    I don’t know if that helps or if it’s even something you are still struggling with? I hope you are feeling much better these days! Question for everyone living outside of Australia…is anyone taking the new Rivaroxaban drug Xarelto? I am and it’s fast becoming the choice over warfrin because diet doesn’t affect its effectiveness and the dosage is always the same. Alcohol and anti inflammatories do affect it though. Just curious about the different medications.

    • This is so good to hear these things. I am actually released in to hear these stories. My story started out on June 10th with a superficial clot in my upper left leg above my knee running towards my thigh that was extremely painful. I went to urgent care to get it check out and was sent n my way being told it’s only superficial and to take anti inflammatories and use a warm compress. About a week and half later it wasn’t any better but worse with redness traveling up my thigh so on June 23rd I came home from work in so much pain I was in tears. So my husband took me to the ER at the advice of our neighbour who is an RN to get answers. An ultrasound found the DVT and the tech asked if I was short or breath and I was but I thought it was anxiety from the pain so they did a CT of the chest with contrast and found the PE in my left lung. It’s been almost 4 weeks so I thought I should be feeling better because my inr is leveling out. I did start the first week with Lorenzo injections and warfarin I was able to go home right away. But I still feel tired, chest pain, and short of breath alot. My blood pressure is higher lately too. I’m usually very active so this is driving me crazy. I feel I’m being a whiner.

      • Hello Amy and welcome! We are glad to have you here. Thank you for sharing your story!! Oh my gosh, I cannot believe what you were told at the Urgent Care – how scary! I am so glad you went to the ER and took your health into your own hands. That is so, so scary that the Urgent Care just assumed it was superficial and did not even send you to the ER for follow-up. It is also very important to share for others who may be in the same situation – thank you.

        You are not being a whiner whatsoever. I remember where I was at four weeks into my recovery, and I could not do much of anything, but lay on the couch. I could not even breathe on my own because I was on oxygen.

        There are many people here to help and share experiences with so I hope you will not be a stranger. Again, welcome and thank you for sharing your story!

    • What is this INR you refer to? What does it measure? What are normal levels? Thanks.

  16. Hi!
    Feeling really exhausted, was looking at going back to work in September, feel now this could be some time away.
    I was rushed into hospital after I collapsed and found out I had massive PE’s on both lungs.
    I feel constantly in pain, admittedly not in as much pain as during my week in ICU. I am also so exhausted and feel frightend all the time. Any little bit of exercise makes my body so out of breath.
    Can somebody please tell me when my life will feel normal again. This happend to me on the 2nd July 2014
    Thank you

    • Hello Dawn. How are you are you feeling? I hope okay this evening. Thanks for the update.

      I know exactly where you are and at 2 months, it was still very, very hard. Everything hurt and I thought my life would never, ever get any better. I would say I started to see improvement in how I was feeling and normal activities that I was able to do at about 6 months. Keeping in mind everyone is different and we all recover at different rates. I felt even better at a year ( and consider myself almost fully physically recovered (or as recovered as I will be!) now at two years. It is a long, long process, but you will start to see small improvements that will accumulate and then turn into bigger, more permanent improvements.

      You are not alone in your feelings. I remember them and I will never forget. Thinking of you this evening. Keep in touch!

  17. lesley ryan says:

    hi read all these blogs and oh my how i can relate to a lot of them , i was diagnosed with a p/e on 20 june this year ,, and i am feeling much better but eh ho its a slow process and when you think i feel fit to go back to work ,, bang back comes the breathlessness and exhaustion ,, just hope as time goes by that it goes completelty

    • Thank you for sharing, Lesley and welcome! You are right, this is a long process with many twists and turns, ups and downs, good days and bad. Thank you for validating what I know many others here are feeling. Take care and I am wishing you well in your recovery.

  18. Hello everyone. I was wondering if I can get some serious input from you guys on here. It has been two years since I suffered a DVT in my right leg and a Saddle PE in my lungs. I have found my recovery to be stagnant at this point in time. I still suffer from intense pain in my right leg. I do not have any swelling, but I do have color changes and intense pain. My pain level is high enough to keep me awake at night if I do not take prescription pain meds.

    If I walk more than a half a mile a day, sit in a chair without my legs elevated for more than 4 hours, or simply walk too fast, my leg is in intense pain for two days afterwards. Also, the left side of my chest is in constant pain. Sometimes the pain radiates to the right lung; and at times the pain is so bad it makes me think I’m having another clot. I too as the poster of this thread have APS “AKA Hughes Syndrome!” So, that could in essence be part of the reason why my recovery has been slow.

    People with APS are at a greater risk for developing Pulmonary Hypertension and other vascular related problems. So, for all of the rest of you guys who do not have this condition, please do not be alarmed by my post. I’m not trying to scare anyone here. I also have Factor 2, or (Prothrombin 20210 Mutation) Heterozygous on top of that. I have not been the same since I had these clots. I have not been able to return to work either. I had a fairly sizeable savings account when this happened to me, so I have been living off of that for the past two years. I do have good days where I feel like I can go back to truck driving again, but then the pain sets in and I am freaking out again.

    My current doctor “despite prescribing me pain medication” does not believe I’m as bad off as I am. He keeps on arguing with me that damage to the veins of the leg does not cause the type of pain that I have. He says that only damage to the arteries would cause loss of mobility and pain. I still can’t climb up stairs any faster than a snails pace, and after climbing two flights of stairs, I’m limping for the rest of the day. He also states that the lungs feel no pain and that my lung pain is probably not due to the PE. He will not send me out for any lung tests…but the funny thing about that is he is a Pulmonologist.

    I can’t switch doctors because no one else will give me pain meds. It seems like even pain management doctors do not understand the pain that Post Thrombotic Syndrome causes. I was diagnosed with PTS by a vascular surgeon three months ago. I have chronic clots in my leg and my Popliteal vein has hardened, it has what is called ecogenic walls, Post Phlebitic Changes. and narrowing on the lumen (very small opening for blood to pass through)! The vascular surgeon says that surgery cannot repair the damage. Surgery will not get rid of the pain…he referred me to a pain management doc that dismissed my pain.

    I have other medical issues: High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Fatty Liver, and possibly other things that they are sending me to a Rheumatologist to get sorted out. I just don’t feel like anyone believes me. Even fellow DVT/PE sufferers do not understand why I’m still in pain 2 years after my DVT. My foot feels like it is in a vice after I wear shoes for too long, my thigh throbs, and my calf and the back of my knee hurt so bad I can’t even tolerate wearing knee high compression socks. How do I get these doctors to believe me when I can’t force them to live a day in my body. Do you guys think I’m an anomaly like my doctor thinks I am? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my story!


    • Hi Jeremy. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me and all of us here at BCRN. I have APS too and two years after my DVT and PE, I still struggle daily with pain, lack of energy, extreme fatigue, anxiety and uncertainty. On a personal note, it took me 16 months to find a job and a job that I could do after I lost my job I had when I had my DVT/PE. Recovery, as you know, is a long, slow, painful process and I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you are still going through recovery.

      Although I am not a doctor, I do not think you are making up your pain or that is is unrelated to what happened to you. Given what you have disclosed about your other medical issues – so me of which I do share with you – it sounds like there is definitely something autoimmune going on within your body. I don’t know that the pain you feel is exclusively FROM the clots, but I do think there is something going on in your body that is causing you pain. My doctor, who is a hematologist specializing in APS, feels that a lot of my pain is not necessarily due to the residual clot, but it actually an autoimmune component. We don’t know why yet, but I struggle with thyroid problems and potentially lupus. In some way, my body is attacking itself and maybe even causing me pain, problems and discomfort. I don’t know if this can shed any light on your situation.

      I don’t know if it can serve as validation for you, but I believe you and you are not alone in what you are going through – NOT AT ALL. I understand and I believe you and what you are going through.

      Thank you again, welcome and keep in touch!

  19. I’m so glad I stumbled upon this site. It’s been almost 6 weeks since I found out I have 2 clots in my right calf and multiple PEs in both lungs. The scary thing was I didn’t feel that bad beforehand, my symptoms were so mild that I almost wrote them off, but my mom died from bilateral PEs (she’d been hospitalized and bedridden for several months) and I’m a nurse so after a few days of mild calf pain that was joined by mild shortness of breath the day I decided to go to the ER, I just knew something was wrong. I’m only 33 and haven’t had any real issues, the biggest risk factor was being on oral contraceptives so I thought I was just being overly cautious in going, I couldn’t believe it when the CT and US came back positive.
    I was in the hospital for 4 days, the first week after discharge, I could only last 5-10 min of doing anything before I needed to sit down and catch my breath. I live by myself and suddenly I couldn’t do even the simplest of tasks….washing dishes, cooking, grocery shopping, laundry. (Thankfully I had a lot of help from friends and family the first couple weeks.) I’d have some energy and do something simple one day then the next I’d be passed out from exhaustion. It was a difficult adjustment the first few weeks but I’m learning as I go. I’ve definitely improved, regular every day tasks aren’t bad, but there’s definitely a wall and the couple times I’ve pushed myself too much….the shortness of breath comes on strongly and so do the chest pains.
    I was supposed to go back to work next week, but I see my doctor tomorrow and I think I have to extend my medical leave because I wouldn’t be able to make it through a 12 hour shift yet. When I first went on leave, I wasn’t expecting I’d have to extend it and I’m frustrated that I won’t be going back to work yet, but I don’t want to go back and make things worse when I’m not physically ready.
    This whole experience has been quite difficult….between the physical symptoms and the emotional roller coaster, but I’m learning to take it one day at a time and as much as my friends and family try to understand, it’s not their body this is happening to so it’s comforting to read other people’s stories and know I’m not alone.

    • Hi Jackie. Thank you for sharing your story and welcome to BCRN! I really appreciate all you have shared with us because you never know when you story may help someone else going through a similar situation, as you know. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother, and I am also really glad you went to get help when you did, knowing her history. I am grateful you are still here.

      You are not alone in what you describe during your recovery. I could not do anything for several months after I was discharged form the hospital. Little by little, though, it did get better.

      I am wishing you the best in your recovery and your eventual return to work. Thank you for what you do and will do everyday as a nurse to take care of others in their time of need. Take care!

  20. I found your blog this morning while searching for information about how long I needed to stay on Xarelto after a PE. I suffered from on the 4th of July this year after hosting a family get together. I tried to ignore the symptoms because I had so much to do that day. Finally, after the fireworks, I admitted to myself the chest pain I had may need to be looked at. It felt like Pleurisy and I was also on an antibiotic that I thought may have upset my stomach too. I was post op and recovering from minor foot surgery a week prior to the PE. My doctor poo poos any information on the internet but it saved my life. I googled my symptoms and that’s how I discovered I had a PE. It’s been a little over 3 months since it happened and yesterday I thought I was going to collapse at work. I have to stand most of the day in surgery and most days and I feel totally exhausted when I get home. A couple of days this week I came home and laid on the couch most of the evening. I usually work 10 hour days but yesterday I was there 12 hours. I joined a gym thinking I would feel better if I exercised and it helps a little. I also go for the message bed :) The stories you all have shared has made me realize I may need to allow myself some more recovery time. I had a small clot on my left lung and was released from the hospital after 2 days. That made me think I should bounce back sooner and it did in some ways. My heart goes out to those of you who had saddle embolisms or more than one. I want to be off of this medication so bad! I believe it has saved my life but the side effects are no picnic. I may look into going to shorter days now that I see there may be a physical reason to ask for it. I think everyone looks at me and expects me to return to normal faster than I actually can at work.
    I also read that some of you had issues with your thyroid after a nuclear scan. My doctor put me on Synthroid a few weeks ago after my blood work came back indicating low T4 levels. I didn’t realize a scan could affect you that way. Interesting…. I’ll have to discuss that with my doctor next time I see her.
    Anyway, thanks so much for sharing…

    • Hello Jennifer and welcome! Thank you so much for being here and for sharing your story with us. I am so glad you sought help when you did – and glad you are here to talk about it! Wow, what a story. Do they think the foot surgery caused your PE at this point? Please know I am thinking of you and wishing you well on your recovery.

      As a side note, I also have problems with my thyroid, but not as a result of a nuclear scan. My endocrinologist, however, believes that there may be some merit to a link between thyroid and blood clotting issues. I have antiphospholipid syndrome, which is autoimmune in nature and is believed to have caused my clots.

      If you can do shorter days, I definitely think that could be beneficial, especially if you are not feeling well or having trouble doing normal things again. I am thinking of you and please keep in touch. Take care!

  21. My pulmonary embolism happened on August 3rd of this year and I was out of the hospital In 3 days. So far I have trouble breathing most of the time and I am in constant pain. When I go to bed at night it takes 2-3 hours for me to be able to fall asleep. When my alarm goes off I feel dizzy, my hands, face and feet are numb and to the touch I feel cold but I am sweating profusely. I have talked with my doctor about this and he said that because I am no longer on birth control (the cause of the clot) my hormones are going crazy and I need to have an ablation and tubal done. My periods last up to 10 days and I go through 3 large boxes of heavy pads. I cannot use tampons anymore, it is too painful. Does any of this make sense or do I need to get a second opinion? Also!! When they did the dapper in the hospital they could not find where the clot came from. So they guessed it was caused from my birth control. I am 35 and I am not the healthiest person. I have panic attacks and also have been diagnosed with anxiety and atrial fib. I try to eat as well as possible but sometimes when I am extremely tired it’s easier just to either not eat or eat out. I find it very hard to stay awake in the morning and I have also fallen asleep after dropping my son off at school. Luckily I was parked. I then drove to the hospital where they told me I had severe fatigue and I just needed to rest. Does anyone else have these issues?

    • Hi Valerie. Welcome to BCRN and I thank you so much for sharing your story! You are not alone in what you are feeling. I have felt many of these things – fatigue, dizziness, trouble sleeping, restlessness, hot flashes – all very early in my recovery, but things have slowly improved over time.

      I am not a doctor, but I have a couple of thoughts on your situation. Has anyone done any further testing for blood clotting or autoimmune disorders? The doctors originally thought my clot (I was 29) was exclusively from birth control, but upon further testing it was found that I have ansiphospholipid syndrome, which is most likely the cause of my clot. The extreme fatigue you are explaining sounds like it is a large part of the recovery, but I am also wondering if anyone has ever checked to see if you have any hormonal imbalances, like your thyroid. My thyroid is a big source of my fatigue and health problems like sleeplessness, extreme anxiety and inability to lose weight right now. I believe my thyroid is causing more problems than my recovery right now. So, it may not hurt to get an opinion or second opinion on some of these issues for you to try to find some answers.

      Where you are in your recovery right now is very normal – it’s hard, it hurts and it feels like it is not ever going to get any better. That does not feel good, I know. It does get better little by little over time, it really does, although I know it does not seem like it now. You are not alone.

      Please keep in touch and let us know how you are! Thinking of you.

  22. My Mom had a PE mid July. She is slowly improving but still needing oxygen at home. Does PE often drop your oxygen saturation levels even during recovery? She has a pulse oximeter and will drop to 87, very rarely as low as 83. A bit of oxygen and rest and she is back to mid to high nineties. She only has one lung but has done well for a long time before this happened. Any thoughts?

    • Hi Tracey. I am glad we were able to connect via email regarding your concern. My best to you and your mother as she continues to recover. I hope she is seeing a few more better days.

  23. Kim Hanberger says:

    I have just had my first chest infection after have a PE in April of this year. It’s absolutely knocked me for six. I feel like I did when I first left hospital 6 months ago. I’m beyond exhaustion, my energy levels are at zero and i have found this experience terrifying. seems like I have took 20 steps back :-( x

    • Oh no, Kim! I do hope you start to recover and feel well again soon. I know ever since my clot when I get sick with a cold (or anything), it seems to magnified and the symptoms intensified more so than before. I have heard several other people talk about that as well. I was also up and down majorly for about the first year. I would feel great one day – and even take a walk or something – and then the next day I would feel like I was back to square 1. All I can say is that you are not alone and try to rest as much as you can because your body is not only still healing from the DVT, but healing from this infection as well so it is working even harder than it was healing from the PE alone, which is a big thing in and of itself, as you know. I will be thinking of you and wishing you more good days than not and that you start to feel better soon. Take care.

      • Kim Hanberger says:

        Thank you so much for the reassuring words. What you explained is exactly how I feel. I visit this site often and see the great advice, comfort and knowledge that is on this page. Once again thank you xx

        • Thank you for being here, and thank you for your kind words. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Take care and talk to you soon!

  24. I meant to ask on my first visit here to this web site. When its hard. to breath, is that the clot in my lung, or something else. Like copd or allergies?

    • Hi Marilyn. It could be a number of things. It could be a part of recovery or an underlying issue as you mentioned. I do believe if you are having any problems breathing, it is important to get in touch with your doctor just to be sure there is nothing new going on. I hope you are well and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      • November 22 I went to urgent car because I had been feeling weird for a couple days, I had pain when I took deep breaths . I was sent to the emergency room because I am over 40. I had 2 small PE’s in my left lung and 1 in my right. I was hospitalized for only 24 hours. I was surprise to be hospitalized at all because I did not feel that bad. I had to do 2 shots of levenox a dat until my INR reached 2. I have only been in range for a week. My primary Doc has me on warfarin for 6 months. Everyone was so nonchalant about everything those first couple days I figured PE’s were no big deal, I would just take the medication and feel fine. The problem is the pain has gotten worse so I googled about recovery and found this blog and other medical information saying recovery can take a while. My doctor did not say a word to me about having pain for a while. Glad to know this is normal. I am only 18 days out and now I realize I might be over doing it. Pain is definitely worse at night, and I tire easily. Now I am a little worried about going back to work. I am a flight attendant, I am off until Jan 1st.

  25. I am so happy that I found this website. On November 15, I was diagnosed with bilateral PE. I had started not feeling well about a month prior, with (what I know now) classic PE symptoms- shortness of breath and a cough. I had gone to my local urgent care, and was told that I had bronchitis, sinusitis, and upper respiratory infection. I took all of my prescribed meds, and still didn’t feel well, but chalked it up to the bronchitis. Then on November 15 I started having the chest pain that got to the point where I couldn’t breathe, was nauseous, and almost passed out. I found out that the chest pain was plueresy, which, honestly, I wouldn’t wish on anyone! My husband took me to the ER, where they did all the preliminary tests (chest Xray and blood work), and the doc also ran the Ddimer test. From there I had a CT scan which showed the clots. What really confused me, and the doctors, is that although they feel the clots started as a DVT I had absolutely no pain or trauma in my legs. I was started on heparin and was admitted to the Cardiac ICU. There, I had more bloodwork done and a sonogram of my legs. The next day I was started on Xarelto and discharged 3 hours later. When I followed up with my PCP a week later she informed that the bottom lobes of both lungs was one large clot and my upper right lung also had a clot. She ordered another leg sonogram as well as an scan of my heart. The leg scans came back clear, and I am still waiting to hear about the results of the heart test. I also saw a hematologist this past week, who ordered a TON of bloodwork. The doctors are unsure what caused the PE, but seem to think that it was my birth control pills. I question that though, because I had been on the same one for 8 years with no issues.
    I still get a little tired and out of breath. I almost feel like I take one step forward and 2 back. I know I am only 1 month post-diagnosis, and my doctor told me it will take months to get back to where I was, but it’s tough. I kind of feel like a ticking time bomb, which my doctor says is normal. I am also worried about a recurrence. I am only 37 years old, and right now have a hard time walking upstairs. Luckily, I only have minor pain in my back, and have been learning to not overdo it, which is hard when I am used to going at full speed ahead being a mommy to my 8 and 10 year old.
    I am on Xarelto for 6 months. One question I do have is: how will I know if the clots are gone? I don’t think I will go back to “normal” knowing that they are in there.
    Thanks for all the information. When I stumbled on this site I felt I had hit a gold mine-lol!! :-)

    • Hi I have searching websites to try and make sense of what has happened to me and so relieved to find this site. I am 53 and recovering at home on blood thinners after a week in hospital with a very large PE on both lungs. I am exhausted afraid worried anxious tearful and feel i will never get my life back. Reading posts on here is helping me so much to understand how I am feeling. Thank you.

      • Hello, Deb. I know it has been some time since you have written, but I am thinking of you as I remember exactly how it feels to be where you are in your recovery. I assure you, little by little – week by week and month by month – it does, ever so slowly, get better. I hope you are seeing a few better days now than in the beginning. Thinking of you! Welcome and thank you so much for reading.

        • Hi Sara good to hear from you. My latest CT scan was ok but emotionally i am really struggling and am now being sent for cognitive therapy to help me. Its a long and painful road to recovery.

  26. Vickey Murrell says:

    I was just found 2 have a DVT in my right leg and pe in my right lung..Can the affect my eye on the right side it seems so blurry now;

    • Hi Vickey. Blurred vision could indicate a problem with your blood thinning medication or even something serious like a stroke. I hope you were able to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Thank you for stopping by BCRN and take care!

  27. Jose Hernandez says:

    Hi, i was diagnosed with a Pe about three weeks ago.Reading this helped me somuch.Had a dvt in my right leg 8 months ago and just recently got one my left leg after being takein of meds for only 3 months had just pains and went straight to hospital and now have PE . I work construction for living and looks like ill be out of work and this bothers and scares me alot.I thought i was going crazy i still have shortness of breath and was think of go back to er last night than start goggleing to get answers. I scared to go back to hospital cuase i dont wanna seem like some nut job who goes there for every lil thing now. But Im only 34 yrs old dont know how to handle this. I wish my dr explaind more to more to me all he said was ur messing with fire kid and i swear that echos in my head take some new drug called xarelto and i guess its good . Is it normal to be on pain meds for DVT ? My legs feel so restless especially at night. thankyou Sarah

    • Hello, Jose and welcome! Thank you so much for stopping by BCRN and for your kind words. Yes, you are feeling completely normal, and I very much remember how it was to feel this way. I think it is normal to be on pain medications for a DVT as well as it is very painful because of the restricted blood flow, from what I understand. I was on pain medications in the hospital and once I got home too – for a few months, until slowly, but surely the pain started to fade or I got used to it. You are not alone in your recovery, Jose! I am thinking of you and hoping you now have more good days than bad. Thank you again and thinking of you – take care!

    • Hello, Jose and welcome! Thank you so much for stopping by BCRN and for your kind words. Yes, you are feeling completely normal, and I very much remember how it was to feel this way. I think it is normal to be on pain medications for a DVT as well as it is very painful because of the restricted blood flow, from what I understand. I was on pain medications in the hospital and once I got home too – for a few months, until slowly, but surely the pain started to fade or I got used to it. You are not alone in your recovery, Jose! I am thinking of you and hoping you now have more good days than bad. Thank you again and thinking of you – take care!

  28. Kendra Albury says:

    Hello to all of you… I have been reading what all of you have wrote and scares me more… I’m 35 years old with 4 boys and been healthy up till now… on September 28, 2014 I didnt feel to good. I was short of breath and felt faint. I just thought I didnt feel good and was coming down with something. On the 29th while I was at my kids dentist appointment I started sweating couldnt breath well at all, hands very clammy. My husband looked at me and said I’m taking you straight to the hospital. They gave me xrays and hooked me up to heart monitors, was very scary. Then with in an hour they came to me telling me that you have 2 massive clots in your lungs. I started crying and my husband was freaking out.They told me if my husband would have not brought me in, I would not have woken up the next day. They admitted me and I was put on the floor with all the heart issue people. I was hooked up to so many machines for 6 days. When I was released I was put on Xarelto 10mg 2x a day. After 3 weeks they put me on 20mg 1x a day… The only thing they explained to us was my blood has genetic for blood clots and I will never get off the Xarelto. They never explained anything else to me and my husband. It is now January 3, 2015 and I have been in and out the hospital for different things. My left upper arm hurts and goes numb to the point I can’t use it. NO one can tell us why. I’m still short of breath alot. I still feel faint alot. Now the new pain is in my left lower abdomin and I have a brown color discharge. I look this up and from what I gather it’s saying I could have DUB. So now I need to speak to the doctors about this. I’m just so scared and just worried anymore.. I’m glad that I have read all of your blog’s and comments but just still really worried…

    • Hello Kendra, thank you so much for your note, and I hope you are feeling better. I know how difficult and scary this is. Were you able to get a name for the clotting disorder you have? That is very important so that you know what you are up against. I recommend finding a hematologist if you do not have one yet, and here are some questions you might wand to ask to get the answers you need –

      I know it is not easy, but if you are not getting the answers you need, please do not hesitate to seek another opinion. It is your health and you are your best advocate.

      I am thinking of you during what I know is a very difficult time.

  29. Hi Sara

    I really enjoyed reading this down to earth and basic explanation! I suffered the very same thing you did and my first question was “When can I run!?” as well! I am a rare case for a PE, 20 year old division I field hockey player, so I was very much heart broken to find out I was diagnosed with a blood clot. Unfortunately for my case, I am on blood thinners for an entire year, and was unable to compete this season and spring as well. It was very difficult to deal with something this tragic and life changing, especially when you are only focused on WHEN you will be 100% better and not HOW to get 100% better. And of course the doctors do not know how to answer our questions the way we want too! It’s a long process, mentally and physically, and it’s nice to hear about other stories of people who stay just as positive as you.

    Thanks this post really made my day! :)

  30. mistydawn says:

    I had surgery January 7th to have a hysterectomy. Which ended up causing a mini stroke along with 2 clots in my left lung. While I was in the hospital for my hysterectomy I asked them about my facial problems, which was tingling and numb. Then unable to move the left side of my face. They said it was from the meds. I was released the next day, only to be re admitted that Tuesday with 2 blood clots in my lung. They say I’m lucky. But I’m by far that… I’m truly blessed to be here. I’m 34 years old and I am a very active person. I find myself impatient for recovery to start. I have anxiety at night from all this. I find this site supportive and it has helped me a lot and I’m just 5 days into my road to recovery. Thanks

  31. I had a PE about 2 weeks ago. The doctor said I had multiple blood clots in both lungs. About 10 years ago I had a DVT I can’t help but be scared of having another.

  32. Kimberley says:

    So sorry to hear all the people on here suffering with blood clots.I have a large blood clot on my left lung that happened after surgery to remove a Tumor in my ovary.I only went in for day surgery and nearly died.The surgeon messed up and I was told that I was very lucky to make it through .I was in a coma and was given 32 units of blood just to make it through.They cut my iliac artery (the artery that feeds the legs)I nearly bled to death in recovery.Any way long story but I was then in intensive care for five days and was sent to a ward down from intensive care and a large PE was found and two hematomas one in stomach and one in pelvic area,Quite large.It all happened three months ago but I’m still feeling so awful.My hair is falling out(not sure if it’s warfarin) and I can’t do much at all,My doctor thinks I’m doing amazing and says I’m lucky to be here.I know I’m lucky but when I going to be able to just walk to local shops without feeling wiped out .My left leg /knee is swollen and gives me a lot of pain.My left foot swells up and basically just feel ill all the time.I have been rushed to hospital four times with awful pains in upper abdomin/chest..Pain as bad as labour pains.They have to inject me with morphine just to take the edge of it.The hospital say it’s my old pains and no new clots but I’m not sure I trust anything anymore.Not sure what to trust.All I know is life is so damn tough and just want some answers.

  33. I’ve searched so long for other survivors. I read on many of the comments about us all being told “by a lottery ticket”. Or “you don’t know how lucky you are”. And surprisingly it doesn’t make you feel better at all. I was “gently” forced to the er by my hubby with chest pain a month after I had my first child. I’ve battled anxiety for yrs so I did my best to convince everyone it was just stress but after one test the dr Cam in and the only word I heard after about 5 mins of talking was FATAL. Come to find out I had 5 PE’S and a saddle Pe. So that started my 2 week vacation with my hubby and son in the hospital. I found out a yr later that they told my family to “hope for the best but prepare for the worst”. I was on coumidin but I guess they were still worried one could break off and go to my brain. I remember walking down the hallway to see if my oxygen was good enough to go home and almost collapsing from exhaustion from a few feet! Once home I got no real answers. No one could tell me why it happened (now they assume c-section) and my dr was very unknowlegable and unsupportive of recovery and when I kept showing up for chest pain. I’m 2 yrs in with 3 additional cat scans for chest pain (all clear) and I’ve started researching on my own to further my recovery and get answers. I still have pain now and then and it’s heartbreaking I can’t always keep up with my son but I know how lucky I am and realize the Lord wasn’t done with me yet. I have an incredibly supportive hubby and friends. Even though sometimes it’s hard not to get depressed they pull me right out of it. I’m so happy I found a group of other survivors. You are all fighters and I’m so glad you are all here to tell your stories

  34. I had a massive PE a year ago next month, from a clot following a ruptured appendix surgery. I had only been home from the hospital for two days when I collapsed and completely stopped breathing. The massive clot stopped my heart and I had CPR three times. I was in the ICU for three days. I too was treated like a ghost afterwards. I shouldn’t have survived, but I did. Everyday has been better than the day before. I’m no longer on Warfarin,so my hair has quit falling out and is actually growing back in. I love my job but I can only work 4 hours a day or get I bad headaches. I remember at about 3 months after the event saying I thought I was 90 % back. I wasn’t in pain anymore but I was far from 90%. I still don’t think I’m at 90%. Physically I get tired easily but my main concern is brain related and I didn’t see anyone comment on cognitive challenges. Maybe it was the drug treatment to break up the clot or the CPR (maybe some oxygen deprivation) but my cognitive challenges create part of my fatigue. Everything I do feels like I’m doing it for the first time, even though I did it many times before the event. Cooking, driving, shopping, etc. It’s exhausting. Reading and writing are both difficult and I make a living reading, writing and teaching. I cannot multi task at all. If I am thinking about something I can’t process what someone is saying to me, even though it looks like I’m listening. I’m fortunate that my family and co-workers are more understanding about it than I am and they often remind me to take it easy. I realize I could be in recovery another year and I’m starting to hope so. I’d like to think I can improve that much more. Your comments have been helpful, reminding me that I am still in recovery and not “recovered”.

  35. Hello
    Got out of the hospital last week. Very freaked out–Large Clots in my right leg and multiple emboli in both lungs. The hardest thing about this is that I don’t seem to be able to get a definitive answer from any of the doctors. One person tells me to wear the compression stockings the other doctor tells me not to because it could encourage the clots to move up. I really don’t know how long these clots are still mobile. It sucks. I am in the NYC area and I found that there is a research center for DVT and PE in northern NJ. Is it worth it to go to a center? Also I am on Xarelto and my liver functions tripled in one day after being put on the meds. Dr repeated test and it came back normal. Taking bloods again this week. Its really a roller coster and I feel really fragile. I am supposed to go back to work tomorrow. I am really worried about moving around too much. So few answers? Really appreciate the work of the this blog. Thanks Sara!!!! I feel a bit like a ticking time bomb. Any advice appreciated.

  36. Hi Sara

    Reading this makes me feel so much better. I am currently in hospital (icu for the past 10 days) hoping to be out by Friday. Also have multiple bi-lateral pulmonary emboli. I am lucky that have not had any of the symptoms described above. I only had a dry cough and shortness of breadth which made it very difficult for my local GP to diagnose. I am still on heparin but am also on Walferin which I will need to take for the next 6 months. I am really hoping all the best for you all and that we all do have full recovery. The scary thing with me is that even after 3 days of heparin usage the number of blood clots increased … I am having another CT tomorrow in the hope that my body is finally going to stop forming more clots.

  37. Hi, its good reading stories from others that had simular cases. Mines started with leg pain for a few days but i put that down to my excersize regime of walking a dog a few times a week for a couple of hrs. I thought i just over did it and so rested it, using pain killers, muscle rub etc. Was on a monday evening when the pain got worse, then i started developing shortness of breath and a pain in my chest. My mum who was with me at home just thought that it might of been one of my panic attacks, but then my sister turned round and said should i call an ambulance? So phoned emergency number and paramedics came out to check me over.

    i was fine talking to them, describing how i was feeling, then one of them turned around and said worse case scenario it could be a clot, so will take you in just incase. So i walked out to the ambulance, but before i got there i collapsed at the top of the driveway, i woke wondering what happened, i was worried what was going on with me. They got me into the ambulance as quick as poss and my mum came with me. I cant remember much of the ride as i was in and out of consciousness. When we got to the hospital i was rushed into A&E but i took a turn for the worst and was rushed into ressuss as i had a cardiac arrest. They had to use chest compressions to bring me back and they hadvto thrombolise me twice as the clots were multiple and clogged my heart too. After they brought me back i had to be put into a medically induced coma to help my body recover as my anxiety would of hampered things. I developed acute kidney failure too but was hooked up to dialysis for a few days to help. I dont remember a thing of my first 2 weeks on ITU, i was being pumped with drugs, had lines in arms, neck both sides and had bags for my bowel movements. I just remember having countless bad dreams and delusions while in there. When i did regain my mind again, i saw how much i was affected, bruises almost everywhere and i couldn’t move much and had to be helped with nearly everything. Eventually got better enough to be moved to high care and within 24 hrs was feeling more me. I had the mental health team and physio help me through whilst there and once my warfarin was kicking in and was ready to go home, they discharged me.

    I’m in early stages of recovery, i get good n bad days. I suffer headaches after a nights sleep but under control with paracetamol, i am on warfarin and also a beta blocker and blood pressure tabs. And i am suffering restless leg syndrome also i have weakness down the right side of my body but am just lucky and trying to stay positive about my situation as i survived this scary thing. I am being case studied by haemotology as my DVT in my leg had no other symptoms and i’m 35 with an active lifestyle, no long journeys made and they feel i might have sticky blood or something simular. I’m learning to keep going as i have a second chance at life and no matter what i will be strong and pull through.

  38. Jean Iwinski says:

    Thanks so much for this educational website. My husband had pneumonia and then a subsequent PE. I was very ignorant of how really serious this condition is in respect to healing time. He is in his early 60’s. While he’s only had this diagnosed and treated in-patient a month ago, I got the wake up call by reading thru this site to know that it will take several months for him to get back to health. Some days it is good (and I think OK – it’s mostly over) and other days he is much more fatigued. I had no view this is a “touch and go” healing process…..also I need patience with some minor confusion he has experienced and other times of him being too temperamental. Now I understand why and that the condition does not resolve once a person leaves the hospital (duh). Thanks soooo much for this education! I really needed this information.

  39. I’m 40 and just been diagnosed with my fourth Pe first time I ahd that many in both lungs they where shocked I was still alive 2,3 time had 3 in total but this most recent I was told I had a massive Pe in lower right lung sent home within 24 hours on xralto still waitnj g for an appointment with blood specialist , had to go private as I still havnt recieved an appointment as I need a procedure done as I have abnormal cells on my cervix , j have no support im a singl e mum I’m exhausted all the time . It’s a shock to me what I’ve been reading on this page no docter has told me any of this , if anyone out there can give me more information I’d be very gratefull!!!!


  1. […] and support networks and asking questions early on in your diagnosis. As you progress in your recovery, you might start talking about it, talking to others, making necessary and consistent modifications […]

  2. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

  3. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

  4. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

  5. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

  6. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

  7. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

  8. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

  9. […] How Long Does it Take to Recover from a PE? – Blood Clot … – I get asked a lot, how long does it take to recover from a PE? Most individuals that I have talked to about recovery from a pulmonary embolism want to know, how long …… […]

Speak Your Mind